Thursday 28 August 2014

Make a Difference

Welcome to Inspiring eSports!

Many of us want to shape and contribute to eSports as a whole, whether we're players, fans, sponsors, team managers, tournament organizers, cameramen, journalists, or any one of the numerous roles out there right now. The dream for many is to one day make a living from eSports and get paid to do what you're passionate about. Some dream of become professional players, and others dream of working behind the scenes organizing tournaments or growing a team from the ground up.

After some positive feedback on Twitter I decided to create this blog to try my best to help people realize those aspirations and provide the basic information and tools they need to get a head start working in eSports. Everyone has to start somewhere!

Currently there are no guides or walk-throughs to getting a job in eSports, or even how to most effectively volunteer your time in the industry - right now it's very much a free-for-all with most relying on their basic instincts and common sense to do the best they can in certain roles. Over time I hope to try and answer some of the nagging questions out there about how to get started and how to best apply your skills in finding that dream role in eSports.

Likewise I also want to extend any advice I may be able to offer to current players, teams, events, streamers, sponsors and anyone else looking to participate in some way in eSports.

Some of the things I'll cover in this blog:


  1. General eSports industry advice
  2. How to get involved in eSports and work in eSports
  3. How to grow your brand, channel or name
  4. Basic eSports marketing
  5. Tips for aspiring team managers

Overall there'll be no particular order of topics covered, but it'll be driven primarily by the questions and concerns of those of you out there who want to inspire eSports, or be inspired by eSports.

For other questions, concerns, or comments, please find me on Twitter or reach me here via email.

About me:

I've been involved in eSports in some way or another for close to 10 years now, and I've been working in Razer's global eSports department for 3 of those years. Previously I was a competitive player in Battlefield 2, Counter-Strike: Source and Call of Duty and I've also been lucky to work as a team manager for various eSports teams as well.

Right now I'm looking after global eSports at Razer which broadly covers worldwide eSports strategy, team and player sponsorships, content and social media, product marketing, eSports press and media, eSports partner relations, and general eSports marketing.

I don't claim to know everything about eSports, but as someone who has been working in the industry as a professional and a volunteer, I consider myself in a fortunate position to help others contribute to our industry too.

Shoutouts to my awesome eSports team at Razer Andrew Philippou, Scott Ball, and Romain Bigeard; Chris Mitchell for giving me my shot in professional eSports; Richard Lewis for my first real eSports gig at Cadred; Ben Dalloway for my first team role, and all the fantastic teams and players I've had the pleasure of working with for the last 3 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment